A Brief History of Our Library

Hartford Public Library was built in the late 1800's

Mrs. Elnora Chamberlain presented the idea of a town library in 1895 to the Woman's Club. Each member agreed to bring one book to be donated as a start. The first library board was formed. The first library was located in the back room of the Merriman Bank at Main & Center Streets. The library grew and soon moved to a room across from Ely Park. When George Merriman died the son gave the Merriman homestead for the library. The home was built in 1870-71 and has 5 fireplaces and ornate leaded glass windows. The handcarved woodwork and stairway are typical of late 19th century elegance. The first state aid was received in 1940 and it became a free library supported by both Hartford village and township.In 1965, the library became a distict library. Two additions have been added as well as over 40,000 volumes. We have 14 public access computers, fax, photocopy and color printers.